Hello Justin,

The problem is that you expect the Job doesn't get pruned from the Catalog
(Job and File records deleted from the Bacula database) *before* the
JobRetention value expires.
If you have a lower VolumeRetention and the volume gets pruned by using
"prune volume expired yes", your jobs will be pruned before the
JobRetention value.

And when the volume gets pruned, volstatus=Purged, it can be potentially
reused by Bacula or truncated and the job data in the volume gets deleted.

This is why we usually recommend:

JobRetention greater than or equal to VolumeRetention

This guarantees that jobs get pruned only when JobRetention has expired.
And your data is safe in the volume at least until JobRetention is reached.

Best,
Ana