On 2/21/23 10:03, Justin Case wrote:
I have now implemented the retention period settings as described in my last
email.
I am aware that the actual volumes do still have the old volume retention
period “baked in”.

Question: At what point in the life cycle of a volume is the volume retention
period updated in the volume itself to the current setting in its pool?

Hello Justin,

The volume retention `volretention` gets set/updated when a volume is created
in a pool, or when the volume enters a pool.

For the latter action, an example would be if you use the `ScratchPool` and/or `RecyclePool` settings in a pool. When Bacula pulls a volume from the defined Scratch pool and moves it to the backup pool, the volume will inherit the pool's `Volume Retention` setting - among other things.

If the volume has the old retention, and never leaves the pool, (without testing this) I am pretty confident that it will never get the new Volume Retention setting.

This is why you need to run the `update volume fromallpools` command when you
make these types of changes to a pool.

P.S. I always use the `fromallpools` option there since it does not hurt
anything and is easy for me to remember. :)

Hope this helps,
Bill

--
Bill Arlofski