On 17/06/2024 18:50, Bill Arlofski via Bacula-users wrote:

Hello Adam,

Not sure if this will be any help at all, but I just checked and see that in my `mtx-changer-python.py` drop-in replacement script, to check for tape cleaning required messages, I am using:
----8<----
  sg_logs --page=0xc /dev/sg##
----8<----

Then I look for:
----8<----
Cleaning action not required (or completed)

or

Cleaning action required
----8<----

To determine if I need to automatically find and load a cleaning tape before returning contr
ol to the SD...

I had been using `tapealert` instead of sg_logs, but I found that tapeinfo clears all alert messages on the drive, so they could never be caught by the SD when it calls tapeinfo in the tapealert script. Sg_logs just reports what I need without clearing the other flags that the SD needs to know when a drive or tape is bad/damaged, etc.

Best regards,
Bill

OMG...

The only reason the script started failing was a different device assignment caused by a reboot:

ls -al /dev | grep sg.
crw-rw----  1 root tape     21,   0 Jun 19 12:25 sg0
crw-rw----  1 root disk     21,   1 Jun 12 17:42 sg1

Once I've changed sg1 to sg0 it started working like a charm again :)