Scott,

At 02:15 PM 5/31/2004, you wrote:
>>And, I would assess that, these converts are individuals who were in desparate
>>search for something to fill their needs. Because it was easy and comfortable they
>>went into fundamentalist conversion, or because they were offered no alternative
>>that sparked their spirits they were left with no other choice.<<

I don't think that the "nativist appeal" can be discounted. Susan referred to Leon
Festinger's model of cognitive dissonance. It is the path of least resistance to
maintain as much cognitive consonance as one can, and conversion to a non-Christian or
non-Jewish religious movement (depending on one's background) can result in
considerable cognitive dissonance. It is less stressful to a Jew looking for
spirituality to get involved with the Jewish Renewal movement (aleph.org), which is
currently very popular in both American Reform and Reconstructionist temples, than to
become a Sufi.

>>Both these postlates are reasons to increase teaching activity on our part, in my
>>estimation. I think I have made clear my feelings of caution toward Ruhi system
>>study circles exclusivity in the past. However, it is what we have at the moment and
>>it does offer a methodical way to educate and confirm large numers of new
>>believers.<<

Educate them in what? ;-)

Mark A. Foster * http://markfoster.net
"Sacred cows make the best hamburger"