Read the
> histories and many of the early American believers came from
> extraordinary backgrounds and lent their talents and resources to
> building the Cause.  Where are these individuals?  Where are the people
> of capacity?  Surely someone has some data on this?  Unless I am missing
> something, the history is clear.  The Baha'i Faith has not attracted
> appreciable numbers of people of capacity since the time of the
> Guardian.  Am I off base here?

Dear Dick,

When I read this comment and gave it some thought I couldn't help but
remember I talk I heard Dr. Amin Banani give at a Baha'i history conference
years ago.  He said, "Over-glorifications of the past become a burden for
the future." I can't help but think this is a good example of what he was
talking about. We compare ourselves with some idealized past that never was
and wonder why we can't measure up. Not only was the Faith in America  not
attracting appreciable numbers of people of capacity during the time of the
Guardian, we weren't attracting much of anyone at all! The truth is that the
Faith saw excruciatingly little growth during this period, and even seemed
to be declining. It was during the time of Abdu'l-Baha and the Nine Year
Plan that the community witnessed spectacular growth. As for the quality of
believers, well, that is when the sin-covering eye comes into play. We have
been very reluctant to talk about the failings of the early believers unless
they broke the Covenant. Unlike us, evidence of their  spiritual crisis's
didn't get downloaded onto  a hundred hard drives. As for me, I prefer it
that way and when I'm gone I will haunt the person who tries to write my
hagiography.

warmest, Susan