On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 12:32:22 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> > Bahai's insistence on being
> > non-partisan in political matters seems odd to me. I'm not sure how to
> > put it but it smells like complacency to me.

> [D.A.L.] Stepping back totally from political matters has been one of my
> greatest challenges as a Baha'i.  The way I take it is twofold:  first it
> avoids a whole range of temptations, most of them having to do with various
> forms of corruption; and second, it places the emphasis on social actions
> that speak directly to others.

Yes, I can see that the policy can have its pluses as well as minuses.
The question would be whether the pluses ouweigh the minuses or
vice-versa.

>  In addition, it clarifies for us the fact  that political action can never
> save the
> world.  That is in the hands of God, and we must be willing to have faith in
> that
> fact.

I'm not sure if the theological side of the argument rings true for
me. (Although if you see it differently that is certainly ok). I would
just think that EVERYTHING is inGod's hands but that doesn't mean we
don't take certain actions. God is the only one who heals, but that
doesn't mean we don't go to doctors or take medicine. God is the
provider, but that doesn't mean we don't get jobs or go to the
supermarket. Yes, ultimately things are always in God's hands but God
created a world where certain things tend to follow certain other
things.

> > Jesus on the other was from a humbler background. Eve
n as a child, he
> > was a refugee, lived in Africa, [...]> > didn't have servants, associated
> > with the outcasts of society. He was
> > homeless, poor. He knew Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea but
> > otherwise didn't seem to have many connections or familiarity with
> > powerful people. He was a big mouth, often spoke out against the
> > authorities, overturned the tables of the money-changes and used whips
> > to get them out of the Temple. And similar things could be said of
> > John the Baptist.
>
> [D.A.L.] I'm not entirely sure that is fully established about Jesus' life
> and circumstances.

The above is basically in the Bible. I'm not taking it as absolutely
reliable history, but it can give some indications.

> His minstry was supported by donations, some of which
> came from wealthy patrons.

But there is no indication that he himself was wealthy.

>  Hw had a home base in Capernaum, which He may
> not have owned outright, but it was there.

Matthew 8:[20] And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes, and birds of
the air have nests; but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head."

I guess he came in and out of capernaum but he also want to other places.

>  Bahá'u'lláh's background was
> more like the Buddha's.  God's Manifestations have come from many
> backgrounds.

I agree, David and Solomon were kings and prophets. There is no
automatic reason why God can't speak through a person who has had a
wealthy comfortable life. Buddha is a good example. But if the
question is whether members of the Black American working class would
be better able to identify with Jesus or Bahaullah based on similarity
of experiences then I don't see on what basis one could choose
Bahaullah.