Thank you Brent for that exhaustive list. it is very helpful, and reminds me how much detail Baha'u'llah went into in the Iqan.

My mind has often been reflecting back to when i declared (almost 10 years ago now) and as I recall, the Iqan was the pivotal book for me. As I have indicated, Baha'u'llah's appeal to reason was a main factor that impressed me. I thin k anyone's choice to recognize a Manifestation or join a religion has more than one factor, it is complex and beyond description. But I was searching for a religion that I could join that respected reason adn logic and was consistent with science. In thew Writings of Baha'u'llah, i found that religion.

But since then Writings I have found that the very things about the Writings of baha'u'llah that attracted me for the reasons stated above, are not teh way many Baha'is accpet them. It seems many Bahamas' believe things about the Faith that I could never believe in.

I can't go back on my belief in Baha'u'llah. I do long for a community that i can feel compatible with. So I search for some way to combine my beliefs with those of other Baha'is in a consistent way.

I easily I am about to ask the impossible and so I certainly don't expect anyone to respond to this post if they are not comfortable doing so. But I wonder, although conversion is personal, complex, adn overly determined by multiple factors, adn certainly not explainable in words, but I wonder. I recognize that one of my large questions in mind when seeking was a search for a religion consistent and compatible with science, reason adn logic, adn my feeling that I had found it was a factor in my conversion.

Could anyone else tell me, what stands out in your mind about why you converted. What was the thing that grabbed you adn convinced you.

The other thing I keep wondering about is certainty. I freely admit, I have little certainly about anything. I really am amazed at the degree of certainty others have about religious matters. (This amazement of mine applies equally to folks of all religious backgrounds, not just Baha'is).

How can you be certain. Do you ever have doubts.

Finally, as to growth. I suppose it doesn't matter. Except for one thing. Compared to any otehr religion I am aware of, the Baha'i Faith places lot of emphasis on growth in teh her-and-now, real world. it not just spirituality and/or after life events we are concerned with. We are led to expect a Baha'i World Order (and most Baha'is I know expect it real soon now.) And I can't help but notice that we aren't growing.

I had breakfast with a Counselor one day last week, just before Christmas. (I dont talk about my problems or the kinds of things I post about on this list, with him or any one in my non-Online world, nor anywhere online expect this list)

He seemed very tired. He volunteered that he felt like we were in period like the 1950's, when Shoghi Effendi passed away, when growth stalled and time were difficult. he mentioned his work on new things like clusters and Ruhi. I tried to cheer him up by mentioned that I actually like Ruhi, since it avoided teh 'spin" put on meetings like firesides and depending by teh host (and I certainly included myself in this "spin" thing; when I hold firesides i tend to mention things I'm concerned with or interested in.).

he mentioned that the new trend begin adopted by the community was hard on people because it required a "bottom's up) or grass roots initiative approach, replacing what previously was a "top down" or more mentally directed approach. I want' surprised by his statements and I certainly didn't mention to hi that ti saw it as even more top down centralized approach than ever.

I think the faith community lacks the manpower and resources to sustain teh kind of extremely highly organized, rigid systematics approach begin tried. A few really dedicated people expend enormous amounts of effort, as Counselors and Administrative Assistants and just regular Baha'is. Bu they get worn out.

I wish we could relax a little, and find a way to grow without straining so darn hard to find a sure fire systematic way to grow, which I think will never succeed anyway. We need to have message that resonates with people, and a support community to reinforce and help people. There is nothing wrong with helping people. Churches and mosques help-people, They give them place to go, counseling in times of trouble, even charity in time of need. Most of all, they get a supportive community.

I mentioned to my friend that I had recently returned form a business trip to India, adn that i had the opportunity visit the Lotus Baha'i Center in New Delhi. I found it most beautiful and peaceful. His eyes lit up and he said he had hear that more people visit the New Delhi House of Worship than visit the Taj Mahal.

I of course did not tell him this, but i visited the Taj Majal also. The crowds were so large at teh Taj majal that my friends and I had to wait in lined for a long time, there were thousands and thousands of thronging people, adn it was all-day adventure to visit the Taj Mahal. The Lotus Temple was really beautiful, and there were visitors, but nothing like the Taj Mahal. It wasn't even close.

I couldn't help but notice that the pictures in teh Lotus Temple that featured the local Baha'i community were faded and torn; they looked like they had been there for many years. I couldnt help but wonder if we could be as capable of sustaining a vibrant community as we were of buildign a big building.

Dr. Maneck, I know you have a history in India and you have mentioned the fantastic success in growing the Faith in India many years ago Is there any evidence that the Baha'i community is growing still in India?

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu