> The real question is how does the New Testament "The Gospel".

I see what you're saying.  I think we are talking about two different things, so there are really 2 questions:

1.  How is the New Testament "The Gospel"?
2.  How did existence of the New Testament qualify Christians as People of the Book?  Or, in other words, how did God perfectly guide the people with "The New Testament"?  (Unless you are suggesting that God didn't perfectly guide the people living after Jesus died because His Revelation, words of God to Him, weren't recorded.)

> The Quran was a specific revelation given to Muhammad, and transmitted to
> the Muslim community and preserved by them.

Agreed.  Therefore, "the Gospel" must be the Revelation of God given to Jesus.  Both of us already agree that Jesus was recipient of the Revelation of God.  I propose that what remained of the Gospel in the form of the New Testament was sufficient, *for them*, sufficient enough to make them the "the People of the Book".  If it wasn't sufficient for them, then God left them without guidance after Jesus died.  So from the beginning of time until Muhammad arrived (except for the people living while the old Prophets were alive), people were left without guidance?  How can this be just?

> But what I would say is that within the New Testament, within the Gospels, among
> the words attributed to Jesus one could probably find many of the essential
> principles of the original Gospel.<

Yes, and the existence of these essential principles in the New Testament was *perfectly* and *competely* suitable for the people living before Muhammad.

> If some other alternative Christian group decided to throw together
> the Gospel of Thomas, the Gospel of Peter, the Acts of John, and the
> Gospel of Mary in some other New Testament the same could probably be
> said of that grouping as well.

No, because Muhammad & Baha'u'llah have already come with the Revelation of God renewed.

Regards,
Hajir

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu