Dr. Maneck quoted a small fragment on my post as such:

"""I have no interest in debating with anyone who claims that the Central
Figures and the Universal House of Justice have never and will never
be factually incorrect on anything; any more than I desire to debate
someone who claims I am a female (since I know myself to be male).""""

And then Dr. Maneck responded as such:

"So why start this fight in the first place?"

Now, I reply to her:

Hello Dr. Maneck,

I did not intend to start a fight, although I will admit that this topic usually does end as a fight, unfortunately.

The reason I bring it up is this: I believe that our community's incorrect understanding of, and more importantly, incorrect application of the principle of infallibility, is the core reason why we as a community are not growing. I have stated this many times in many ways, and I know you always disagree with me. I respect your opinion, Susan, very much (I guess that's one reason I hang around here, hoping to some day, some way help you to see the light on what I consider to be, by far, the most important issue in the Baha'i community today).

I believe that this issue is holding us back. From a practical, hard nosed, real world point of view, I just don't think that a religious community founded on our principles will ever be accepted by many people if we cling to what I consider to be a demonstrably false understanding of infallibility; and an understanding of infallibility that, if not changed and the Baha'i Community were to achieve worldly power, would have disastrous consequences.

From a spiritual and theological perspective, which to me is actually the more important perspective, I believe in a conception called God and I believe Baha'u'llah is His Prophet and Messenger. And, I believe that God will never allow a community, Baha'i or otherwise, to obtain worldly power now or in the future, with so disastrous a mis-conception of the principle of infallibility. So I believe God will hold us back until we correct this. And, I believe Baha'u'llah will also; indeed you can't really separate the Two; Divine Providence will not allow our community, with its present conception of infallibility, to grow further in numbers and//or influence, until we correct this problem, I believe.

So to me it s a big issue.

Ron Stephens

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu