On 5/9/06, Iskandar Hai, M.D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 9 May 2006, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> On 5/8/06, Iskandar Hai, M.D. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Iskandar:
> > Things didn't magically change in 1844, nor in 610, nor in year 30. Think
> > continuum.

Gilberto:
> I do think in terms of continuum. That's why I don't think that a new
> Manifestation who will change things around is all that necessary.
> While remaining faithful to Islam, the rulings of scholars will take
> new realities into account.

ISkandar:
So, why did God bother to send Prophets? He could have just given His total
Revelation to Adam as the final Prophet and then scholars would have
done the rest.

Gilberto:
God can do alot of different things. He could have stopped with one
prophet. He could have stopped with 144,000 prophets. "Don't tie up
the hands of God". He sends prophets and saintly people as exemplars.
He also gave human beings brains and a conscience.

They work together.

Your argument is self-defeating.

Not really. It's just realistic. Even today there are isolated parts
of the world where the messages of Muhammad or Jesus haven't reached.
Isolated indigenous communities in the rain forrest etc. God still
cares for them, no? They are left to rely on whatever prophetic
message they got in the past.

Gilberto:
> So, for example, without banning polygamy, there are certainly Muslims
> who are cautious about it and aren't encouraging it.

Iskandar:
So? It's still legal. And polygamy is still practiced.

Gilberto:
To me that suggests you are not really thinking in a continuum but are
thinking in more absolute terms. Polygamy certainly isn't for everyone
but I don't see what is wrong if a few people willingly engage in it
with their eyes open.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent
by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and
for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by
federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message
and any attachments thereto. Thank you.