Hi Gilberto,

>I think certain omissions are definitely the moral equivalent of lying.

>In the Bahai case we are talking about Bahai preacher not telling their audience that
>they were a different religion.
I don't know the facts about Jamal Effendi, so I cannot comment on that.

However,  even if a Baha'i person did something that was not straightforward, or was dishonest, that would reflect on him or her, not on the Baha'i Faith.

If a Muslim behaves in a dishonest way, does that diminish the truth of Islam?

>But there are also a number of situations where a member of a different faith
>would take a more "activist" or uncompromising approach where a Bahai
>would strive to fit in and obey.

The Baha'i teachings emphasize that the purpose of religion is unity and harmony,
that contention is forbidden.  According to the Baha'i writings, the way to teach the Baha'i Faith is though friendliness and humility, not by "in your face" confrontation.
Another principle is that Baha'is should present the Faith as if giving a gift; if the other person refuses it, the Baha'i  should let him follow his own path.

In general, in the United States, many people are not ready to accept some fundamental Baha'i principles, such as obedience  and submissiveness to God's laws.
If I  were to initiate discussion  on this topic, right at the start of a relationship,
some people might put up mental walls, since they don't want to hear about  this.
If someone asked me a direct question,   I hope I would give a direct, honest answer.
But I might not bring up a challenging matter right at the beginning of a relationship.

Here is an example.  The Baha'i teachings say that homosexual relatioships are immoral and are not allowed for Baha'is.   I live in a small city that has a large
(several hundred) and very vocal homosexual community.
If I were just beginning to talk about the Baha'i Faith with someone, I would not bring up the Baha'i teachings on homosexual relations, at the beginning.
If the other person asked me a direct question, I would feel obliged to say that the
Baha'i Faith regards homosexual relations as immoral and forbidden to Baha'is.
But I see no reason to begin a conversation with that.

Tim Nolan

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu