The Baha'i Studies Listserv
> I believe that Susan is correct, there is a letter written on the Guardian's
> behalf that was published in US Baha'i News -- but Ocean does not include
> all of the years Baha'i News was published, and I don't have a copy handy.
> It was a letter addressed to, of all people, Rex King.  My recollection of
> the language was that the Master in His Will could not possibly have
> provided for a conflict of authority, and that  therefore the Hands could
> not over-ride the choice of successor the Guardian made.

Ahh, that is precisely what I needed to find the passage:

"The statement in the Will of 'Abdu'l-Bahá does not imply that the
Hands of the Cause of God have been given the authority to overrule
the Guardian. 'Abdu'l-Bahá could not have provided for a conflict of
authority in the Faith. This is obvious, in view of His own words,
which you will find on page 13 (p. 11 of 1944 U.S. edition) of the
Will and Testament of 'Abdu'l-Bahá. "The mighty stronghold shall
remain impregnable and safe through obedience to him who is the
guardian of the Cause of God. It is incumbent upon...the Hands of the
Cause of God to show their obedience, submissiveness and subordination
unto the guardian of the Cause of God, to turn unto him and be lowly
before him. He that opposeth him hath opposed the True One," etc."

It is from Baha'i News Feb. 1955,