The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Isn't the fastest growing religion actually Islam?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claims_to_be_the_fastest-growing_religion

________________________________
From: Ursus Maximus <ursusmaxi...@gmail.com>
To: Baha'i Studies <bahai-st@list.jccc.edu>
Sent: Tue, December 14, 2010 10:08:06 AM
Subject: Re: How will they cope?

The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Susan,

Thanks again for the information. Sounds like new enrollees are picking up in
the SE USA and that's great!

In New Delhi, indeed I was probably there when nothing was scheduled. However I
could not help but notice how out of date the flyers on the walls were, nothing
was recent and up to date.

To the other commenters, I do think the faith community somehow comes across as
harsh and this discourages seekers. Look at how many divorces there are. In my
cases, my wife is Catholic and has tried hard to make friends and be friendly
when we were in Connecticut, but Baha'is tried so hard to convert her that they
kept insulting her Catholic faith, constantly asking her how she could be a
Catholic given the priest sex abuse scandals, and telling her that her Catholic
faith was like being in Kindergarten, why didn’t she join the Baha'i Faith and
be in high school? In my opinion, such arrogance is unbecoming.

I think we need to be warmer, and absolutely more accepting of other religions.
I have not, unfortunately, always found Baha'is to "consort with the followers
of other religions" with grace. Most of all, I think we need a little humility.
When we stand up and tell seekers that we are the world's fastest growing
religion, and talk about entry by troops, and how Peace will break out in 2000
(it didn't), and how a Baha'i government will rule the whole world, and they
see
the actuality of a very small, not growing, community of old folks, many
Persian, it makes us seem a little bit like a cult of fanatics sometimes.

Maybe we should think about being the leaven in modern society, instead of
arrogantly thinking we are going to be a significant number any time soon. It
is
very likely that none of us, our children, our grandkids, or our
great-great-great grandkids will ever live in a world in which Baha'is make up
any significant percentage of the population. So why not try to be a small
community of Baha'is who actually help make overall society better, kinder,
more
humble, more God-fearing, more good? You can't do that, in my opinion, by being
triumphalist.

And if we really want to grow, even slowly, maybe we should emphasize
theological details less, and put more emphasis on the big picture, what's good
about religion in general, and not just our own theocratic triumphalism, try to
bring out the best in people of all religious persuasions, be a good example of
religious tolerance, moderation, and good will?

After I declared, I was repeatedly told to forget my doubts, that I had to
completely accept dogmas that I find to be completely unacceptable, because
"once I had declared, I had found Baha'u'llah to be Who He said He was, and
therefore, since not only was He Infallible, but all the Central Figures and
the
Universal House of Justice were Infallible" and since most Baha'is take the
literal English definition of Infallibility, that immediately makes the Baha'i
Faith more dogmatic, rigid and fanatical than almost any other religion. We
must
say "War is Peace" because our Central Figures infallibly told us that peace
would break out in 2000; that mankind share no evolutionary history with other
primates, because of comments by Abdul Baha, that modern Physics is incorrect,
there is a  quantum ether, again because of comments by Abdul Baha. This makes
us less accepting of science than most modern religious persuasions.

I'm sorry, but our religion is not perfect. I can clearly see that even
Baha'u'llah did not foresee that He we being served poison. Even Shoghi Effendi
chose chief lieutenants who were of bad character. Even the Central Figures
made
prophetic remarks that subsequent events have proven to be incorrect. So what?
That’s not why I became a Baha'i, I became a Baha'i because I find Baha'u'llah
to be right on the mark when it comes to spiritual matters.

But if we can never expect a significant percentage, much less a majority, of
the world's people to become Baha'is if we insist hat such becoming mean they
accept literal infallibility in the common English sense of the word. If we so
insist then it won’t happen and we will remain a tiny community that most
people
in the world has never heard of.

I still struggle, but I am a Baha’i. I struggle with the Aqdas. We say equality
of the sexes is a core belief. But the Aqdas devotes more words to inheritance
laws than to any other subject. And those inheritance laws are sexist, giving
more to sons than daughters. Now since the inheritance laws are mostly
irrelevant anyway since we are ordered to create wills, why did Baha’u’llah
choose to devote more words in His Most Holy Book to inheritance laws than any
other subject, and why are those laws sexist? I can only conclude that He was
influenced by His local time and place, circumstances and culture. And so if
our
inheritance laws are sexist and women also can’t serve on our highest Body,
it’s
not the end of the world. But when seekers see all this and we try to hide it
and blindly insist we are more for equality of the sexes than (name whatever
religion they are coming from) they see us as hypocritical, and I have to agree
with them.

I love the Baha’i Faith. But I think our doctrinaire and triumphalism attitudes
are why we have stopped growing and are shrinking.

Baha’u’llah re-defined many literal interpretations of previous scripture as
nonsense, such as Jesus literally returning in the clouds. Even the core
doctrine of most of Christian belief for all Christina history,  the bodily
resurrection of Christ, He defines as symbolic. I would not at all be surprised
if a future Manifestation easily dismisses many of the theological literalisms
that many seekers struggle with in the Baha’i Faith as symbolic, not literal
and
thus of no importance. How ironic then, and sad, if we as a community block
seekers access to the spiritual wealth of the Baha’i Faith by emphasizing
literal theological orthodoxy. Is this what Baha’u’llah had in Mind?

Ron

The Baha'i Studies Listserv