Source: Babycenter

The lowdown on breast pumps

                   A breast pump can be a godsend for a nursing mom. By
extracting milk so you
                   can store it in bottles for later feedings, it lets you
leave your baby for more than
                   the two or three hours between nursings. This offers
obvious advantages to a
                   working mom. But even if you don't leave for work every
day, not having to worry
                   about your baby eating well if you go out for a night or
a long afternoon can be
                   very freeing.

                   There are two main types of breast pumps, manual and
mechanical. We heartily
                   recommend going electric. Using the hand-held versions
can be excruciatingly
                   slow and occasionally painful. Even mechanical extraction
is uncomfortable at
                   first. But time and practice usually helps women overcome
any awkwardness,
                   which is why we suggest acquiring your breast pump a week
or two before
                   returning to work or first leaving your baby with a
sitter.

                   Rent or buy?
                   A case can be made both for renting and buying. If you
rent from a hospital, you'll
                   have access to Medela and Hollister models, the Cadillacs
of breast pumps.
                   These high-quality pumps have rapid cycling times
(sucking 30 to 45 times a
                   minute) and you'll pay $1 to $3 a day to rent a model
that normally costs about
                   $1,500 to buy.

                   If you plan to rent, ask yourself how long you'll want to
nurse, because rental
                   costs can add up. And you'll still need to buy an
accessory kit, which includes breast flanges, tubing, and collection
bottles, for an additional $25 to $100. (If your baby was born with a
disability that makes it hard for him to nurse, your insurance may cover the
cost of a breast pump.)
                   Rental pumps can also be bulky and heavy — weighing up to
18 pounds — and they require a three-pronged electrical outlet. So they
aren't ideal for a woman who's on the road a lot or doesn't have a place to
stow her gear.
                   You'll have more model options if you're planning to buy
a machine.

                   What to consider when buying one
                   > Double-pumping capability: A model that allows you to
pump both breasts at once cuts pumping time by more than half. (Note:
Pumping first one breast and then then other takes roughly 30 minutes;
pumping simultaneously takes 12 minutes on average). Double-pumping also
boosts milk production by fooling your body into thinking you're nursing
twins.

                   > Adjustability: A level of suction that's comfortable
for one woman can be torture for another. Choose a pump that allows you to
adjust the vacuum for your comfort.

                   > Efficiency: Find out a pump's cycling time. If you're
time-crunched (and what mom isn't?), it might be worth paying a little more
for one that sucks more times per minute.

                   > Easy assembly: The fewer the number of parts the easier
it will be to assemble — a plus when you're carrying the pump from one place
to another.

                   > Convenience: Look for a pump that's easy to use, easy
to clean, and easy to carry if you don't have storage space at work or at
home. The best pumps allow you to keep one hand free for other activities.
And unless you want everyone to know exactly what you're doing behind that
closed door, look for a quiet pump.

                   The different options
                   Top-end electric pumps

                   These are relatively new on the market and combine the
best features of hospital-grade pumps and more portable models. High-quality
pumps include Medela's Pump In Style ($277), which comes in a shoulder bag
and is used by many working women, and Medela's Lactina ($575-$650), good
for first-time mothers and those who have never used a pump. (Find the Pump
In Style and other Medela breast pumps at the BabyCenter Store.) Another
option is Hollister's Purely Yours ($220).
                   They're fully automatic, with quick cycling times,
adjustable suction levels, and double-pumping capability.
                   What's more, they weigh 8 pounds or less and come in
attractive carrying cases with accessories — storage bags, labels, clips,
bottles, and nipple lotion — included.
                   Some women report, however, that the suction is a little
weaker and the pumping action slightly choppier than with rental-grade
models. "It's like switching from a limo to a good mid-size car," explains
Katy Lebbing, a La Leche League breastfeeding counselor in Villa Park,
Illinois.

                   Mid-range electric pumps
                   The models in this category are semi-automatic, requiring
users to re-create the rhythm of nursing by repeatedly lifting or rolling a
finger over a hole. They have medium cycling times, allowing for about 20
sucks per minute, adjustable suction, and double-pumping capability. They
weigh less than two pounds and include accessories. And if you find you need
to pump while being shuttled to or from work or on weekend getaways, you can
run many mid-range electric pumps on a car lighter with an adapter ($55)
that's sold separately. "These pumps take a little longer and require a
little more effort to use, but they're a good choice for women who need
portability," says Lebbing. One good option in this category is Bailey
Engineering's Nurture III. As is typical in this industry, the car analogy
comes into play when describing its usefulness: "We're the Volkswagen of
breast pumps," says owner Barry Bailey.

                   Prices range from around $100 to $150.

                   Inexpensive electric or battery pumps

                   The price tag may be tempting ($30 to $80 in catalogs and
drug and discount stores), but experts warn that these pumps are no deal.
"Don't waste your money," says Linda Haclow, a consultant for La Leche. They
allow women to express only one breast at a time, which means pumping takes
twice as long and your milk production is half as efficient.
                   Also, most models are semiautomatic, tend toward long
cycling times (some produce only about 12 sucks per minute), use batteries
that need frequent replacing, and have suction that's either too strong or
too weak. "Many women complain that these pumps hurt their breasts and that
they can't get much milk out," says Lebbing. Still, she points out, some
women are perfectly happy with them.

                   Nonelectric pumps
                   Nonelectric models require you to pump a piston or
squeeze a lever to empty your breast. Not surprisingly, the faster you pump,
the more tired your hand and arm muscles get. These pumps empty only one
breast at time and usually require two hands to operate, although a few are
designed for one-handed use.
                   They're affordable (retailing for $20 to $30 at lactation
centers and drugstores), weigh less than a pound, and require no power
source. But they're not a practical choice for most working women and are
probably better for occasional pumping at home. Also, stay away from the
models that look like bicycle horns; the rubber balls can harbor harmful
bacteria.

                   Where to get more help
                   A lactation consultant can help you figure out which pump
makes sense for you. She can also teach you how to hand-express milk, an
invaluable skill that allows you to continue collecting milk even if your
pump breaks down.

Info balita, http://www.balita-anda.indoglobal.com
Kirim bunga untuk handaitaulan & relasi di jakarta http://www.indokado.com
Situs sulap pertama di Indonesia http://www.impact.or.id/dmc-sulap/
Etika berinternet, kirim email ke: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Berhenti berlangganan, e-mail ke:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kirim email ke