Mbak Rossy, kebetulan saya masih simpan artikel TORCH kiriman dari Mama Dafi.
Moga2 berguna

Salam

Mamanya Hana

Toxoplasmosis

Why is it dangerous to change my cat's litter now that I'm pregnant?

Cat feces can carry a parasite that causes oxoplasmosis, an infection that isn't
serious  for  you  but can pose a danger to your developing baby. Some birds and
other  animals,  as  well  as  some  raw  meats,  can  also  carry the parasite.
Toxoplasmosis  causes most severe damage to the fetus if a woman comes down with
it in her first trimester.

Happily,  the  odds  of contracting toxoplasmosis during pregnancy are low--only
about  one  in  1,000 women do so. Studies also indicate that about one-third of
American women are immune to toxoplasmosis altogether. And if you live with cats
the  likelihood  is  even  higher that you've already contracted the disease and
developed an immunity to it.

What are the symptoms of toxoplasmosis?

The symptoms in adults are fairly mild: Swollen lymph glands in the neck, fever,
chills,  headache,  muscle  aches, and fatigue. They usually appear about two to
three weeks after you've been exposed. But some infected adults show no symptoms
at  all.  For a fetus, the effects of toxoplasmosis are more dire. It can result
in  low  birthweight, fever, jaundice, and seizures, as well as long-term health
conditions   such   as  mental  retardation,  and  vision  problems.  I'm  still
worried--what can I do to make sure I don't have it?

You  can  take  a  blood  test that measures whether or not you're immune to the
parasite.  If  you  have  no  antibodies,  you're  not  immune.  The recommended
procedure  is  to  repeat the antibody test every month or so until you deliver.
Should  the  tests  become  positive along the way, it's likely you're infected.
Treatment  involves  taking special antibiotics over a period of several months,
and  greatly  reduces  the  risk  that  the  baby  will be born with any serious
problems.

Another  option  is  to  test  whether  your fetus is infected. This can be done
through  amniocentesis,  as  well  as by examining a fetal blood and/or amniotic
fluid  sample.  Babies at risk can also be tested after delivery. If a baby does
show signs of the infection, he'll receive long-term antibiotic treatment and be
followed  closely.  It's reassuring to know that only one baby in 10,000 is born
with severe congenital
toxoplasmosis.

How can I avoid getting it in the first place?

Since  the  parasite can be found in raw or undercooked meat, eat your burger or
steak  well-done.  And when you're handling raw meat, wash your hands thoroughly
afterward.  If  you're  gardening  where  there  might be cat feces, wear rubber
gloves, and wash your hands well after touching the soil.

As  for  your  cat,  feed  him  storebought  pet food to be sure he's not eating
undercooked  meat. And rein him in. Keep him inside, if possible, to prevent him
from  hunting  mice,  since they can harbor the parasite. If you can't keep your
cat  from prowling the neighborhood, don't hold him close to your face, or share
your  bed,  sheets,  pillows,  or  blankets  with  him.  Always  wash your hands
thoroughly  after playing with him. Use gloves when emptying the litter and wash
your hands when you're finished. Better yet, have someone else take over cat-box
duty for the duration of your pregnancy--something you surely won't miss.

If,  after  all  this,  you're  still worried, you can have your cat tested by a
veterinarian to see if he has an infection. And if he does, you should board him
with  someone  else  for  six  weeks  or so until the infection can no longer be
passed along.

German Measles (Rubella)

What is rubella?

Rubella,  or  German  measles,  is an infection characterized by a pink-red rash
that  first  appears on the face and later spreads to other parts of the body, a
mild  fever,  and  swollen lymph nodes. The virus runs its course in about three
days.  Although  rubella is a relatively mild illness, it's very dangerous for a
pregnant  woman  as  it  can  cause  birth defects from deafness to encephalitis
(inflammation  of the brain) and heart defects. Fortunately, at least 75 percent
of  women  in  their childbearing years are immune to the disease, either from a
childhood vaccination or a bout with German measles as a child.

What if I'm not immune? What can I do?

Ideally,  you  should get vaccinated before you get pregnant and then wait three
months before trying to conceive. This gives your body enough time to completely
kill  off  the  injected  virus  so you won't be in danger of passing it to your
baby.  If  you  got  the vaccine in the early weeks of your pregnancy before you
knew  you were carrying a child, don't worry; the chances it will harm your baby
are very low. Still, your doctor may recommend a detailed ultrasound at 18 weeks
to give you some reassurance.

If  you  become  infected with German measles during pregnancy, the risk to your
baby  depends  on  when  you  contracted the infection. If it happens during the
first  month,  there's  a  one  in two chance your baby will be affected. By the
third  month,  the  risk  drops to one in 10. Unfortunately, nothing can be done
during the pregnancy to protect the fetus. You'll need to work closely with your
healthcare  provider  to  test for birth defects and prepare for when the baby's
born.

(1) cytomegalovirus infection (CMV)

A  common  viral infection transmitted by saliva, breast milk, urine. Relatively
rare  and  relatively  mild,  the infection does occasionally cause deafness and
neurological problems in newborns.

(2)Cytomegalovirus

Cytomegalovirus (CMV) is a virus that causes many diseases in humans, especially
in infants and people with abnormal immune systems. Cytomegalovirus infection is
characterized  by  swollen  glands,  fever and fatigue. CMV may take the form of
hepatitis,  or  --  in  newborns  --  jaundice and low birth weight. In the most
severe  cases  of  infected  infants,  CMV may result in brain damage, deafness,
blindness  and  death.  In patients with cancer, transplanted organs, or AIDS or
other immune deficiencies, CMV can cause severe disease of the lungs, colon, eye
or  brain.  There are three antiviral drugs available that may be very effective
in  treating  some  types of CMV infection. These include ganciclovir, foscarnet
and cidofovir.

Herpes

I'm  9  weeks  pregnant  and  I  just had my first outbreak of herpes. (I didn't
notice  it  until  after  my husband and I had intercourse.) He has a history of
herpes,  and,  to  the  best  of my knowledge, I do not. How will this affect my
fetus?

Drs. Gottesfeld:   A primary or first herpes outbreak can affect your developing
fetus; however, this is quite rare. The main concern with herpes in pregnancy is
at  the  time  of  delivery.  If  you  have  an  active lesion or symptoms of an
impending  outbreak  when  you  are  in  labor,  it  is important to notify your
provider.  It's likely that your doctor or midwife will recommend that your baby
be delivered by Cesarean section to decrease the risk of transmitting the herpes
virus to your newborn.

Since  a  primary  outbreak  during  pregnancy  does  increase  your  chances of
miscarriage and premature labor, aquaint yourself with the signs and symptoms of
these  problems.  Also, notify your midwife or doctor about this outbreak so she
can keep an eye on you and your baby. Good luck!

"Fatchy, Rossy E" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 09/25/2000 09:04:47 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]