Not quite long ago, I wrote,
You loose all capabilities of pdb when you're in IPython (there's a
solution, i'll get to that later)

Its called ipdb. IPythonised pdb. I havent used it to recommend it. I'm
happy with the solution that I have right now for debugging and writing
code.

Read more about it here.
http://www.electricmonk.nl/log/2008/06/25/breakpoint-induced-python-debugging-with-ipython/