Hi,
I'm noticing that my library needs cleaning fairly regularly, and isn't getting
cleaned automatically like I expect.

I'm currently running
 * bareos-15.4.0.git.1450454374.ccd5008-1181.1.el6.x86_64.
 * Dell PowerVault TL1000 - LTO6 (an OEM'd IBM TS2900 type 3572-HH6)

The library is configured as "6+1" slots, which means of its 10 slots, six are
reserved for data tapes, one for a cleaning tape, one for "slack" space to
shuttle tapes around, and two (one double-stacked slot) for I/O.

There is a cleaning tape in the library (barcode "CLNU00CU").

The library is configured to NOT auto-clean on its own, because Bareos
theoretically should be doing it.  *****Yes, I see the problem now.  (Before
hitting send, for a change!)  See below for the other part of the question.*****

My bareos-sd.conf (minus the File storage and Director section):

=====
Storage {
  Name = backup1-sd
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
  Plugin Directory = /usr/lib64/bareos/plugins
  Plugin Names = autoxflate scsitapealert
  NDMP Enable = yes
}
Device {
    Name = "tapedrive-tl1000"
    DeviceType = tape
    ArchiveDevice = /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-350016977299e1010-nst
    MediaType = LTO6
    Check Labels = yes
    LabelMedia = yes
    AutoChanger = yes
    AutomaticMount = yes
    MaximumBlockSize = 1M
    MaximumFileSize = 50GB
    AutoInflate = both
    Drive Tape Alert Enabled = yes
    Spool Directory = /backups/spool
}
Autochanger {
  Name = "autochanger-tl1000"
  Changer Device = /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-1IBM_3572-TL_0000068403931001
  Device = tapedrive-tl1000
  Changer Command = "/usr/lib/bareos/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
}
Messages {
  Name = Standard
  director = backup1-dir = all
}
=====

Um.  I just found the sentence in the docs where is says Bareos' autochanger
support doesn't include cleaning.  So, that explains why Bareos isn't cleaning
the drive!  Duh.

However, my library will only auto-clean if the drive is empty, and Bareos
leaves a tape in the drive at all times by default.

I can run "release storage=TL1000 alldrives" manually, which of course works
and allows auto-cleaning to work, but is there a better way to have Bareos
unload the tape at the end of the day's runs so that autocleaning can happen?

As it is, if I turn on autocleaning for the library, the cleaning run happens
when Bareos tries to load a new tape, and it can take long enough that Bareos
times out.

Also, I'm finding that the drive is asking for cleaning about once a week.  I'm
backing up ~2-3TB per night to LTO6 tapes; does this sound normal for that
volume of data?

-Adam