Rob,
i see my reply to you, never arrived, perhaps you read it, and you will understand that the question of choosing to which list you send a message is not so evident. My message was automatically destroyed, not I hasten to say because of any questionable content, but because I put a few photos of messages to show that many messages about Baroque questions, including the recent one about "nails and Weiss" do get sent to LUTE.
LUTE is the neutral choice, while BAROQUE takes  a decision.

My question below, was rhetorical, of course, I know, as you do, that there is no such thing, as an "ideal" lute (notice the "guillemets", in my original message). However, I have been trying to find out, not THE answer, but answers to that question, for some years, as Martin could tell you, when I helped him send a message about this to the French list . It is true, I am in the process of ordering a lute, but that does not alter my questioning. It is a chance to look at it in more acuity.

I happen to be a phonetician, and acoustics, and resonators, are our stock in trade. This inclines me to ask such questions. I am rather surprised, in fact, that few lutists seem to do so. Indeed, I was quite positively surprised to see you mentioning specifically, this question of resonance, open strings and the type of tuning, in favour of Bologna lutes (a little in the same direction as Burwell, although, she doesn't actually make the relation with the music). Indeed, I quoted you on that point to Stephen who seemed basically to be in agreement with you.

I do not want to begin discussing the question right now, but, I do notice that when Hoppy made recordings on LP, his reasons supported by Musicologists for choosing a particular lute-type for specific composers of French Baroque music, were purely iconographic, with no reference what so ever to the type of music. I regret, that at present, not only do lutists not explain why they choose a particular lute for a type, of music; you are lucky if they mention the maker of the lute, and certainly it is rare to see any discussion of string type.

Actually, my decision was already made, a few days ago; but that will not stop me continuing asking such a question. I have found strings that work well on my Renaissance lute (though constant questioning and researching, mainly on the web, but also by mail), this does not prevent me from continuing to be interested in the question of string choice. I hope it does not mean I am not relaxed, although an attitude of research rarely goes together with complete relaxation.

I am not of course criticizing the qualities of Burwell, when data is rare, how can we. However, what is said is quite sketchy, two pages on the topic, and yet it is massively quoted. How can it be otherwise, but I can't help feeling this is very similar to the question raised by the Cahiers 7 and Joel Dugot, on the conclusions we can draw about lutes of earlier periods, from those few that happen to exist in museums at present.

We do have to rely on them, in fact, what else can we do (that and iconography), but there is often a tendency to use this small quantity of data to support our need for standardization (see the 8c lute question for this tendence).

As you say, we can learn from our students, but only I think, if we remain permanent students ourselves (I stopped carrying a student card at the age of 46), but I am still on a permanent quest for understanding. You can't switch off your research attitude, just because you have retired (as I have done, I mean retire). I hope that raising questions will never be confused with putting in question and lack of trust.

I have often been told by lutists that certain subjects should be left to lutemakers (I don't want to know what is inside, told me one fellow). Personally, I am really intrigued, by seeing the inside of a lute, and I find those photos on of the J-barring on your site extremely interesting. Even for string choice, I have been told, why don't you just trust your lute maker. I am ready to trust, but like the young child, I will continue to ask questions. I am really interested. I know how little I know in this area, and because of this, I rarely make statements, unless I feel sure I can back them up; but I have learnt that it is not finding the answers that makes a good student, it is asking the questions, preferably the right questions, but failing that just questions, something may come out of it.
Enjoy your lute

regards
Anthony