Talk about riddles, where did that "feuille de voyage SNCF come from" I haven't taken a train since last year????
Anthony

Le 13 déc. 07 à 14:57, Anthony Hind a écrit :

Le 13 déc. 07 à 00:06, Rob a écrit :

Sorry if I made you feel I was criticizing you for asking questions - far
from it! I have too many of them myself.

Eventually I just give up, and then
the answers often come to me. But by then I've forgotten the question! I feel like the Winnie the Pooh of the lute...most players are more like
Eeyore, especially Dowland in his gloomy place!

Keep questioning. There are a few Owls you should watch out for, though.

Rob

www.rmguitar.info

Rob
I now understand, I missed out on one essential piece of English culture. I have never read Winnie the Pooh, or had it read to me, as far as I remember.

My father, on the other hand, was a permanent poser of riddles for which there was never any logical solution. I am by inclination, and by profession, being an experimental phonetician, drawn myself now to raising riddles, and on very rare occasions actually solving them. I expect that makes me an Owl, rather than a Winnie, or an Eeyore, but I am wildly guessing. Your piece of prose above, rings to me just like one of my father's unsolvable [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Indeed your words about the Bologna lutes, the 9 ribs, the free sound and the resonance of the open strings in the D minor tuning, also rings like a riddle to me. Call it an interesting hypothesis, but that might be too fancy (probably an Owlish word?).

Did the fashion for the Bologna lutes correspond almost exactly with the discovery of this tuning? If it did (and that is not certain), was it indeed chosen for the freedom of sound going so well with this tuning, (does the age of the wood that sweetens the tone also lower the impedance, I suspect it might)?

Many lutists just seem to consider the elegant Bologna shape both from appearance and for posture, that determines their choice for this music, quoting the Charles Mouton portrait, but Burwell, explicitly says these lutes were not chosen for their "figure".

Was the later partial return to larger more rounded multi ribbed lutes, in the later German Baroque era, simply because Malers had run-out, and German made 9 ribbed lutes a failure, so even these multi ribbed "monsters" became acceptable, or was it again because the music had changed. French music was more Mid orientated. German Baroque seems to have more of a bass ground.

So perhaps, again it is the music which may have dictated the change.

Your "riddle" seemed one interesting way of looking at this issue, and as usual it gives birth to more riddles (no rhyming slang intended).

I will admit that some will not care why they have chosen, and just get on and play. Then you get strange remarks thrown at you, like, thereare the thinkers and the doers.
I see no problem with both.

Regards
Anthony

PS My computer seems to have learnt from my mistakes. Before when I wanted to type in Baroque, I had to type in the whole word, now the initial letter
seems to trigger the address.