From: Martin Shepherd [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 14 December 2007 12:13
To: baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: new sound file for 11c

Dear Chris,

The author of the Burwell tutor is quite clear.  He says the French
masters first adopted a twelve course lute, then returned to an 11c,
"keeping only the small eleventh" because the sound of the low octave on
the 11th is "too big and smothers the sound of the other strings".  He
also explains how you can then play a C on the open 11th instead of
having to finger it at the third fret of the sixth course.

You're right about the single 11th being the high octave, not the lower
- Burwell says it should be between the 5th and 6th in size.

Later authors clearly used both strings, Mouton for instance indicates
where they are to be played separately.

Best wishes,

Martin

P.S.  I do think the single 2nd course arises from conversion of a 10c
lute - it means you only need one more peg for the 11c version, which
you can get by adding a treble rider.  So no need to make a new pegbox!