Sorry Wayne, I was going to add a subtitle, but someone phoned, and then I forgot, so here is my second effort.

Alan
If you are in the situation I was when beginning to play again, it is more a question of getting your hands back into a supple enough state to be able to do lute exercises. The index of my left finger after one or two exercises would click, and then a sort of burning sensation would appear.

I did all sorts of finger exercises without lute: just finger exercises or movement with those Chinese balls that are supposed to cure rheumatism. It helped slightly, but then I found an exerciser called the Gripmaster. It was created by a trumpeter, and looks like it; you can work each finger separately. Don't even bother working them all together. This appears to have "cured" the problem with my index finger. Of course it is no replacement for finger exercises on the lute, which both strengthen and teach you the special coordination needed. It may be of no use whatsoever to a younger person who has always played and kept in trim.

It is not just a question of strengthening the fingers, however; it does seem to give more control. The fingers become more supple and progressively springy (shock absorbers?), and something happens to the pads of the finger tips, which seem to become more "squidgy". The tops of each "piston" is a slightly patterned plastic. This seems to alter the texture of the skin slightly, giving a smoother surface. After using it for a minute or so, the sound from the lute seems to become less scratchy. The only thing is not to overuse it, like any exercise, as then it hinders play. Just moderate use, helps you to warm up the muscles, and gets me playing more quickly.

I have given it up, several times, thinking I no longer had use for it, but I think I have always slipped back slightly. It exists in various strengths, and is used by shooters, climbers, trumpeters, and some guitarists. At first sight, it would be more useful for guitarists who need to hold down more tension, some like it some don't.

I lost mine on a trip out somewhere. I immediately bought another one. I have the red (medium high)and blue one (medium low) good for the little finger, but mainly use the red one. Sometimes I use the blue one before the red, and then after the red, when I think about being very cautious, warming up, and warming down, as it were.

Be careful, the black one is also red, but with more black on it, and that might be too powerful for strengthening little fingers, etc.

Actually, I just looked at the reviews on Musiciansfriend.com and I couldn't find any negative remarks, but I do remember reading some previously.

Here is a positive one from an older guitarist : "My speed and accuracy increased and, also being an older musician I had no fatigue or cramping in my fingers as I usually have. "

I must insist that this is just my personal experience, and the same exerciser might be a disaster for someone else, perhaps even doing damage, or just no additional help if you are already in good form.

There are also books on general exercises specifically aimed at musicians. I bought one in French, "Education physique preventive pour les musiciens"
from http://www.arts-medicine.com/eng/indexeng.php?rub=3;
but there must be ones in English.
Anthony