David
As I said to Rob, it has nothing to do with strength or pressure, but all to do with suppleness and flexibility. You will probably have that naturally, having continued to play. I had to get back into basic form, while fighting against the continued effects of age. Also of course it warms the muscles up faster. I think everybody has a warm-up time, but as you get older, and if you have given up for a time, as I had, the warm up time seems to become much longer. Strangely, it has given me much better control in raising the ring finger, when lying all the fingers cupped on a table. This is the opposite movement that you seem to make with
the gripmaster, but somehow it has had this effect.

I am quite aware that any physical activity, golf, tennis, piano playing, or even weight-lifting calls for the practitioner to learn how to use the minimum of effort for the maximum of result. I well remember that the best javelin throws I ever made, were the ones in which I was the most relaxed and felt as though I was using the least effort. Nevertheless if your joints are seized up, there is no way you can acquire the degree of relaxation that is required while you are contending with inflammation, as Rob will have found out recently.

In fact, I try to begin the day with a whole series of shoulder exercises, to try to counteract the traces of three serious bouts of "frozen shoulder". Only then do I use the Gripmaster, and actually not every day. Interestingly, it has made a slight difference to the shape of my hands and fingers, which look and feel more lean and supple.

Makes me sound a complete wreck (when I reread what I have just said). You might wonder why I even bothered to take up the lute again. Well, one of my sisters on retirement has taken up cliff climbing. She had never ever done this in it her life before, and actually it was through her, I heard of the Gripmaster.
Now, I am not sure who was the more foolhardy of the two of us!

Anthony