Bernd,

    Thanks for the link.  And thanks very much to Martyn for writing the
article.  Very interesting and informative stuff.  I wonder why Radolt has
received so little attention.

    On one point, though, I can't agree with Martyn: von Radolt's music is not
of "negligible musical worth."  I won't argue that it is the deepest stuff, but
it is pleasant to listen to and there are some surprises to keep you
interested.  Overall, I would recommend the recording that Ed mentioned by Ars
Antiqua Austria although I find the violin to be a bit too forward in the
recorded mix.  They definitely did not follow Radolt's explicit instruction
that "the soprano part that is the small lute must at all times be set
strongly" and tripled in volume in relation to the other parts. (I suppose they
were after an "overall composite sound.")

    Actually, I know very little about this recording.  I bought it on iTunes
about a year ago and there is no booklet (shame on them!).  I could hear that
there was more than one lute on there, but the performers' names are not even
listed online.  How hard is it to include a digital booklet, people?

Chris

Christopher Wilke
Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
www.christopherwilke.com