That may require setting limits to the violinist's ego, a notoriously
impossible task.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Wilke" <chriswi...@yahoo.com>
To: <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 9:05 AM
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Wenzel von Radolt

Ed,

--- On Sun, 11/7/10, Edward Martin <e...@gamutstrings.com> wrote:

Thanks for your note. I agree with all stated, in
that it is good
music, although not deep. Yes, the violin is a little
bit too
strong, for my taste.

I should have mentioned that the music is well played by all. It is the first violin that's the offender: the line just isn't that interesting to sustain being heard that forward in the mix. This may have been the engineer's doing. It was, however, also common practice for the bowed strings to use mutes when playing with lutes and I think this recording would have benefited from doing so. Gunar Letzbor mentions that playing with lutes was a new experience for the group, so my hats off to them for tackling this music in the first place and doing such a good job of it.

Chris

The liner notes reveal some interesting facts...
apparently, the
parts were scattered in various areas, making great
difficulty in
assembling the concertos. All parts were then
together, with the
exception of the first violin part in the concertos.
One of the
lutenists in the project, Hubert Hoffman, started writing
the missing
violin parts, and after near completion of the work,
somebody found
it the missing part!! Yesterday I had a conversation
with an old
friend, Doug Towne. In discussing this, he laughed,
stating, "They
should have asked me... I've had it since the late 70's".

The lutenists involved in the recording are Hubert Hoffman,
Sven
Schwannberger, and Klaus Kob. I have never heard of
any of these
performers, but they certainly performed these works well.

ed

At 08:41 AM 11/7/2010, Christopher Wilke wrote:
>Bernd,
>
> Thanks for the link. And
thanks very much to Martyn for
> writing the article. Very interesting and
informative stuff. I
> wonder why Radolt has received so little attention.
>
> On one point, though, I can't
agree with Martyn: von Radolt's
> music is not of "negligible musical worth." I
won't argue that it
> is the deepest stuff, but it is pleasant to listen to
and there are
> some surprises to keep you interested. Overall,
I would recommend
> the recording that Ed mentioned by Ars Antiqua Austria
although I
> find the violin to be a bit too forward in the
recorded mix. They
> definitely did not follow Radolt's explicit
instruction that "the
> soprano part that is the small lute must at all times
be set
> strongly" and tripled in volume in relation to the
other parts. (I
> suppose they were after an "overall composite
sound.")

> Actually, I know very little
about this recording. I bought it
> on iTunes about a year ago and there is no booklet
(shame on
> them!). I could hear that there was more than
one lute on there,
> but the performers' names are not even listed
online. How hard is

wrote:

> > From: Bernd Haegemann <b...@symbol4.de>
> > Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Wenzel von Radolt
> > To: baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu,
"Edward Martin"
"Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
> > Date: Sunday, November 7, 2010, 4:40 AM
> >
> > > See my paper in FoMRHI
Quarterly No
> > 44 July 1986 C-737 : 'Von Radolt's
> > > instructions to lute
players (Wien
> > 1701)'
> > >
> > > This gives a translation of
the
> > instructions and a commentary on the
> > > lute sizes/pitches
required.

> > see
> >
> > http://www.fomrhi.org/uploads/bulletins/Fomrhi-044.pdf

> > To get on or off this list see list information
at
> > http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

Edward Martin
2817 East 2nd Street