On 18 December 2010 20:42, Jean-Marie Poirier <jmpoiri...@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> I must confess I am very disappointed. This little book is much too expensive
> for what it is...

I think price should not be considered in judgement; if it's good, any
price is fine. The fact that a book, any book, on 1650-1700 Baroque
lute music is written is laudable. That a publisher is willing to
publish it is even more laudable. I am willing to pay just in the hope
that more writers and publishers might consider writing and publishing
more. So I paid the price and bought the book (Amazon in Germany had
it cheaper than advertised on this list). Jean-Marie writes he is
'very disappointed'. I think he is being extremely polite. Original
sources are quoted from secondary sources (modern writer X writes that
17th century writer Y wrote that ...), incomplete listings of things
anybody who would be interested in buying the book in the first place
knows already, pop-guitar terminology for French Baroque ornamentation
(that was a lark, actually), no original insights or theories, guide
lines on how to play Baroque lute music on an 11-string guitar ...
need I go on? I didn't complain about the less than perfect English
which indeed at times is obfuscating the point (is there a point) the
writer is making. I am not a native speaker and I know my English is
far from perfect, this e-mail being a good example, but still, in a
publication like this pretens to be ...

Having said all this, I still think any writers should be encouraged
to write on 1650-1700 Baroque lute music, and publishers should be
rewarded for publishing these books. But, only if these books have
some real content. It's a pity this one misses the mark. Widely.

David