Thanks to all for the precious indications and examples.

The issue with ssh was related to creating a new application with the same
name as a previously deleted application, on windows at least.

And finally, a WAR deployment is not necessary, which is cool, thanks to
the openshift basex quick start repository mentioned above.

Best wishes
ab