I have never tried doing it like that! I create a text stream
containig SVG that is piped into a SAX parser, like this

SAXSVGDocumentFactory fac = new SAXSVGDocumentFactory(prs);
SVGDocument doc=fac.createSVGDocument(uri.toString(), r);

The text stream comes from the output of a Velocity template merge.
This way, I can keep the SVG template external to the
application. But, in any case, the outcome is that I have a DOM-type
document (doc) that I can then do with as I please: for example,
if I have an element el, I can write:

el.setAttribute("style", "font-family: Times; font-size:30pt;");

Can you not work on the DOM object?

Martin