Hi Mike,

  I've seen variations of this type thing before...  in my case a top level
svg that contains an <image> who's xlink:href references another document
(svg in my case).  The referenced svg document had an id'd gradient that was
in the <defs>...when the gradient was referenced by a shape's fill, the
transcode would fail. Seems once the DOM (GVT) is booted the calls out to
the xlnk:href are resolved. The uri for the embedded document seemed to be
null (null#id on reference)You can try to setDocumentURI("something") on the
parent...I think I tried that with no success, but needed to work-around
(base64 data uri worked fine) and move on. I can probably reproduce this
behavior in a test case if you think it will help resolve your issue.  I
have not had time to debug it further, but it is on the (long) list.