On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM, jonathan wood
<jonathanshaww...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>   I've seen variations of this type thing before...  in my case a top level
> svg that contains an <image> who's xlink:href references another document
> (svg in my case).  The referenced svg document had an id'd gradient that was
> in the <defs>...when the gradient was referenced by a shape's fill, the
> transcode would fail. Seems once the DOM (GVT) is booted the calls out to
> the xlnk:href are resolved. The uri for the embedded document seemed to be
> null (null#id on reference)You can try to setDocumentURI("something") on the
> parent...I think I tried that with no success, but needed to work-around
> (base64 data uri worked fine) and move on. I can probably reproduce this
> behavior in a test case if you think it will help resolve your issue.  I
> have not had time to debug it further, but it is on the (long) list.
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Mike Jarmy <mja...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > OK, I have discovered the GraphicsNode.paint(Graphics2D g2d)  method,
>> > which may be all I need to call once I actually get a valid GVT build.
>> >  However, I'm having trouble building a GVT from a
>> > java.io.InputStream.  Here is the code I'm using:
>> >
>> >            String parser =
>> > XMLResourceDescriptor.getXMLParserClassName();
>> >            SAXSVGDocumentFactory f = new SAXSVGDocumentFactory(parser);
>> > //            String uri = "http://www.example.org/document.svg";;
>> >            Document document = f.createDocument(null, inputStream);
>> >
>> >            UserAgent userAgent = new UserAgentAdapter();
>> >            DocumentLoader loader = new DocumentLoader(userAgent);
>> >            BridgeContext bctx = new BridgeContext(userAgent, loader);
>> >            bctx.setDynamicState( BridgeContext.DYNAMIC );
>> >            GVTBuilder builder = new GVTBuilder();
>> >            this.gvtRoot = builder.build(bctx, document);
>> >
>> > This code fails at the call to GVTBuilder.build(), with the following
>> > error:
>> >
>> > Invalid CSS document.
>> > Unable to make sense of URL for connection
>> >        at
>> > org.apache.batik.css.engine.CSSEngine.parseStyleSheet(CSSEngine.java:1149)
>> >        at
>> > org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SVGDOMImplementation.createCSSEngine(SVGDOMImplementation.java:117)
>> >        at
>> > org.apache.batik.dom.ExtensibleDOMImplementation.createCSSEngine(ExtensibleDOMImplementation.java:212)
>> >        at
>> > org.apache.batik.bridge.BridgeContext.initializeDocument(BridgeContext.java:378)
>> >        at org.apache.batik.bridge.GVTBuilder.build(GVTBuilder.java:55)
>> >        at
>> > com.tridium.svg.ui.BSvgDrawing.loadDrawing(BSvgDrawing.java:305)
>> >
>> > Could that be because I'm passing a null value in for the URI when I
>> > create the document from the InputStream?  I have noticed that I get
>> > the same error no matter what I pass in for the URI.  Is there perhaps
>> > a better way to construct a Document from an InputStream?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Mike Jarmy

> [...]

I was actually able to get this working.  It was only happening for
certain files, and I do believe that it had something to do with URIs
embedded in the svg file.  By always setting the URI to an absolute
path I was able to resolve the problem.

This problem may however come back to bite me again.  I have not yet
experimented with reading SVG files from a jar file, as I will
inevitably need to do.  In that case I may have to disallow having SVG
files refer to each other, since its likely there is no real way to
specify a URI to another file inside a jar file.