Raymond Toy wrote:

> [nice lisp deleted]
>
>     Robert> demands that the BBDB format my entire database into the bbdb
>     Robert> frame.  This seems to take my emacs process forever.  (I sit
>     Robert> for a long time with "formatting").  I was thinking of
>     Robert> replacing this with something that either will display nothing
>     Robert> or that will display a canonical record.  Just thought I would
>     Robert> check to make sure there's not a good reason for the "."
>     Robert> regexp above that I didn't think of.
>
> I don't use a separate bbdb frame, but this might help you out a bit.
> If you use font-lock to format your bbdb buffer, you may want to get
> the package fast-lock or lazy-lock.

The reason that formatting takes so long is because you're having the whole
database formatted...then the first time you do a bbdb search, all that work
probably goes down the drain because the bbdb output buffer got erased.

The solution is amazingly simple:  Instead of (bbdb "." nil), which matches
everything, use (bbdb "something-not-in-the-bbbd" nil) and you'll get an
empty new frame.

> Fast-lock caches the font-lock data so the first time you load a buffer,
> it's slow, but afterwards it's much faster.

Bzzzzzzt.  The bbdb buffer is dynamically created and has no associated
file.  Won't work.

> Lazy-lock just fontifies what is visible in the window, and can silently
> font-lock the rest of the buffer in the background.

BBDB doesn't use font-lock at all.  Most of the work of formatting the
buffer is text layout (string stuff and buffer manipulation...not lots of
extent operations).

    Stig