    Robert> I have been using BBDB in its own frame with good results
    Robert> as I said.  However, I find that starting up emacs has now
    Robert> become a groaningly slow process.  Part of the problem, if
    Robert> I understand properly, is that when I start up the bbdb
    Robert> frame, the form that you have been using:

    Robert> (let ((bbdb-electric-p nil)
    Robert>       (special-display-frame-alist '((name . "BBDB")
    Robert>                                  (unsplittable . t)
    Robert>                                  (menu-bar-lines . 0)
    Robert>                                  (left . -155)
    Robert>                                  (top . 0)
    Robert>                                  (width . 55)
    Robert>                                  (height . 10))))
    Robert>   (bbdb "." nil))

    Robert> demands that the BBDB format my entire database into the
    Robert> bbdb frame.

    Robert> [...] Just thought I would check to make sure there's not
    Robert> a good reason for the "." regexp above that I didn't think
    Robert> of.

No.  When I first did this, my database was (and still is) quite
small, and "." was the first thing I thought of which would make the
BBDB frame come up with no chance of an error.  I guess you could
avoid using any of the BBDB stuff altogether to get the frame to
appear, by doing something like:

  (with-output-to-temp-buffer bbdb-buffer-name "")

This will produce an empty buffer.  It seems to work... although I
wouldn't guarantee it.  The above method also avoids the need to set
bbdb-electric-p to nil...

Hmmm... might change my startup...

peace & happiness,
martin