On 26 Feb 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2001, Daniel Pittman yowled:
>> So, I would suggest that, for this one file, you make an exception.
>> It
>
> You get lots of CVS conflicts if you do this, in my experience.

Really? I never encountered any in the, er, half dozen projects that do
that I have in source right now, nor in the others I have worked on.

When you change configure.in, autoconf replaces configure locally. When
you are finished, you check in both configure.in and configure.

The rest of the world download the delta and apply it. No problems,
because no one except for people developing the configure script ever
generate it...

> Require testers to have autoconf installed, and provide a little shell
> script (conventionally called `bootstrap' or `autogen.sh') which runs
> autoconf.
>
> (This is how the GNOME project do it.)

Mmm. Which adds an external dependency to building the package that
wasn't present before.

        Daniel

--
There is something more horrible than hoodlums, churls and vipers,
and that is knaves with moral justification for their cause.