that has been posted to comp.std.internat as well.

  Waider> On July 5, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
  >> On 05 Jul 2001, Daniel Pittman wrote:
  >>
  >> > IIRC, `ß' becomes `ss' when you change it's case.
  >>
  >> That's right.
  >>
  >> kai

  Waider> So do I take it then that the conversion of `ß' becomes `ss'
  Waider> is the Right Thing, or what?

I think it is not. The Yugoslav lj (Unicode 01C9;LATIN SMALL LETTER
LJ) becomes LJ in the upper case (01C7;LATIN CAPITAL LETTER LJ) and Lj
in the title case (01C8;LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH SMALL LETTER J);
in this way the software can correctly circle through the cases:
ljubljana -- LJUBLJANA -- Ljubljana; similarly with the Dutch ij/IJ.

It's very strange that the Germans with their special relation to the
standards did not care to reserve a LATIN CAPITAL LETTER SHARP S for
the cases like this, where

          title_case(up_case("Großjohann")) != "Großjohann"

--
Sergei