On  Aug 28, 2001, Klaus Zeitler wrote:

> is there a way (like a regexp or some such) to remove additional text
> from user full names. I keep getting mails that contain user full names
> followed by text like:
> first_name last_name via the vacation program
> or also:
> first_name last_name via Hypernews at ...
>
> bbdb now always asks me if I want to change these sorry names or keep them as
> alternate ones.

It helps to know what version.  I found that 2.32 worked
okay but 2.33 (from the cvs tree) had some issues.  Look at
the value of bbdb-extract-address-component-regexps it's
what figures this out.  it calls bbdb-clean-username which
does what you want.  I also added a call to
bbdb-snarf-nice-real-name which was in 2.32 but was
removed.  This function deals with outlook format names of
"last, first" so that you don't get asked about adding that
as an alternate.

Howard