    Howard> On  Aug 28, 2001, Klaus Zeitler wrote:
    Howard>
    >> is there a way (like a regexp or some such) to remove additional text
    >> from user full names. I keep getting mails that contain user full names
    >> followed by text like:
    >> first_name last_name via the vacation program
    >> or also:
    >> first_name last_name via Hypernews at ...
    >>

    Howard> It helps to know what version.  I found that 2.32 worked

sorry I forgot to mention, I'm also using 2.32

    Howard> okay but 2.33 (from the cvs tree) had some issues.  Look at
    Howard> the value of bbdb-extract-address-component-regexps it's
    Howard> what figures this out.  it calls bbdb-clean-username which
    Howard> does what you want.  I also added a call to
    Howard> bbdb-snarf-nice-real-name which was in 2.32 but was
    Howard> removed.  This function deals with outlook format names of
    Howard> "last, first" so that you don't get asked about adding that
    Howard> as an alternate.

Well I checked and it looks as if none of the functions/variables you
mention is used when I look at mails with those odd addresses.
I debugged a bit and (with Gnus as mail tool when I select an article with
e.g. address "[EMAIL PROTECTED] (via the vacation program)" in the
summary) the stack trace is:

  bbdb/gnus-pop-up-bbdb-buffer()
  bbdb/gnus-update-record(nil)
    mail-fetch-field
  bbdb-annotate-message-sender(
           "[EMAIL PROTECTED] (via the vacation program)" t t nil)
    mail-extract-address-components

i.e. the full from address is extracted with mail-fetch-field in
bbdb/gnus-update-record and then used in bbdb-annotate-message-sender.
In bbdb-annotate-message-sender mail-extract-address-components returns
a list ("via the vacation program" "[EMAIL PROTECTED]") where the first
element is interpreted as "name" the 2nd one as "net-address".

To me it seems as if BBDB relies on the generic functions mail-fetch-field
and mail-extract-address-components and I can't find any hooks or
matches against regexps to discard some part of the address.

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |