Jan Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am having some problems causing gnus not to parse phone numbers in
> an american style even though I have:
>
> (require 'bbdb)
> (setq bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p nil)

Your experience doesn't sound fun, and something sounds broken.
Have you tried using a prefix argument (C-u M-x <bbdb-insert-new-field command>),
with these phone numbers?

Chris

PS.
C-h v bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p RET gives:

bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p's value is t

Documentation:
*Set this to nil if you want to enter phone numbers that aren't the same
syntax as those in North America (that is, [[1] nnn] nnn nnnn ['x' n*]).
If this is true, then some error checking is done so that you can't enter
incorrect phone numbers, and all phone numbers are pretty-printed the same
way.  European phone numbers don't have as strict a syntax, however, so
this is a harder problem for them (on which I am punting).

You can have both styles of phone number in your database by providing a
prefix argument to the bbdb-insert-new-field command.