On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Kai Gro wrote:
> David Masterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> In general, having a coding cookie in a file sounds like a good idea.
>> However, does it really sound like a good idea for BBDB? I would
>> think that there is the potential for the entries to be in a number
>> of different coding systems depending upon how it was entered. Hand
>> entered entries are likely to be in one coding system, but entries
>> (perhaps auto-) memorized from a mail or news reader could be in the
>> coding system of the message, no?
>
> Hm.  Yes, the cookie should reflect the encoding that is actually
> used in the file.  This could be tricky.

It's generally a better idea to not use things such as coding cookies
which will, eventually, get out of sync when the user does something odd
or tries to use a character outside the safe range for the chosen
encoding...

Personally, I push an entry into the encoding alist that makes my BBDB
file MULE 2022, which works for me.

If you do introduce this coding cookie, make sure you don't break my
setup, please. I would be very annoyed. ;)

       Daniel

--
The mines of knowledge are often laid bare by the hazel-wand of chance.
        -- Martin Farquhar Tupper