Hi there,
Using BBDB with gnus and automatic snarfing of info when reading usenet
groups.  This has led to my ~/.bbdb file being about 760KB large.
It always seems to me that the first invocation of anything dealing with
bbdb takes a while, so I tested with:

$ time emacs -q --no-site-file -nw --eval '(load-file "test.el")'

real    0m6.525s
user    0m5.380s
sys     0m0.160s

where test.el is:

(add-to-list 'load-path "/home/fischman/.elisp/bbdb/lisp/")
(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-search-simple "Ami" "usenet")
(kill-emacs)

(the search is just there to force the bbdb to frobnicate the data --
that's where most of the time is spent).  The timing is stable under
repeated invocations, and with an unloaded P3-450 w/ a gig of ram, so
everything relevant (emacs, lisp code, ~/.bbdb) should be in the disk cache
already.

Is this a common thing?  Do other users of bbdb just accept the initial lag
the first time they use BBDB in an emacs session?

Cheers,
--
  Ami Fischman