Same here after upgrading to Debian Etch. I deleted bbdb.elc and
changed bbdb.el to:

    ;; iso-2022-7bit should be OK (but not optimal for Emacs, at least --
    ;; emacs-mule would be better) with both Emacs 21 and XEmacs.
    (defconst bbdb-file-coding-system
      (if (fboundp 'coding-system-p)
          (cond ((coding-system-p 'utf-8-emacs)
                'utf-8-emacs)
->              (t 'iso-8859-1)))
     "Coding system used for reading and writing `bbdb-file'.
     This should not be changed by users.")

I don't even know what iso-2022 is, but i do believe it sucks.  It did
cost me some hours to locate the problem...