I have another possibly related issue.

I am actually successfully using an encrypted
bbdb-file "~/.bbdb.gpg"

I have added a coding cookie

;; -*-coding: iso-2022-7bit;-*-

quite some time back and this allows me to export all records with
C-u bbdb-csv-export RET filename RET outlook RET
and fairly easily diff against an export of my Contacts in Outlook.

Recently the coding cookie on the first line gets removed when I save
or commit the file into CVS (I have not tracked this down yet, but am
sure glad I use CVS).

I have observed the .bbdb.gpg buffer gets narrowed to exclude that
first line with the coding cookie.

Perhaps some writer of the file is not aware of this and just saves
the narrowed part of the file?

--
Adrian Aichner
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]