On Fri Feb 11 2011 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >    Joe Smith <f...@bar.org>
>
> > Now the idea is that typing "foo" would give you the above line.
>
> `substring' completion does that since `foo' is a substring of the
> above string.

Fine!

> > Also, this command implements the concept of "cycling", which is yet
> > more orthogonal to usual completion:
>
> Welcome to completion-cycle-threshold.

Here I am stuck! Certainly I cannot claim that I understood
completion-cycle-threshold which seems to be unknown to my current
emacs 23.2.93. More importantly, my problem is that "BBDB cycling"
refers to different email addresses for one record. So in that case
different "completions" might not have any common substring. So any
generic completion algorithm needs to communicate to BBDB whether it
wants to perform completion based on a common substring or based on
cycling.

I guess it's fair to say that within bbdb-complete-mail (that you
can look at) the smaller part of the code tries to figure out what
type of completion is requested. But the larger part then generates
the appropriate completion table (where the elements need to be
calculated based on the content of the database).

> To tell you the truth, the infrastructure might have some missing
> elements, but I'm interested in addressing those issues.

bbdb-complete-mail is certainly one of the more intransparent pieces
of code in BBDB. If this can be changed, I'll definitely appreciate
it!