The README file now gives an overview on how BBDB v3 interfaces with MUAs.

The new command bbdb-undocumented-variables might help you to
identify outdated variables. This displays a list of all
undocumented variables in the "bbdb-" name space.
All variables in BBDB 3 now have a doc string. So if you set
variables in your init file that are not used anymore by BBDB (so
that they are not documented anymore either), these variables will
be displayed by bbdb-undocumented-variables. (Unfortunately, this
fails for outdated BBDB variables that are set via your personal
`custom-file'. Let me know if you know a better solution for this.)

On Wed Oct 26 2011 Carson Chittom wrote:
> If ~/.bbdb is nonexistent, M-x bbdb-create creates it improperly such that it
> requires a manual edit.

This should be fixed now.

On Sat Oct 29 2011 Peter Münster wrote:
> Finally I understand: `bbdb-mua-display-*' does not only *display*
> records, but can also update them, depending on
> `bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p'.
> I've replaced `bbdb-mua-edit-notes-*' by `bbdb-mua-display-records' and
> everything is fine now!

Oh well, this is one of the things that should go into a proper
documentation (= info). The updated README file is a starting point.

On Fri Nov 4 2011 Ivan Kanis wrote:
> Finally found some time to work on bbdb. Here is patch that
> implements picture of people's mug shot.

I tried to clean up this patch

- use the same names and words that are used by the functions doing
  the real work (and let them do as much work as possible)

- see the new variables bbdb-image, bbdb-image-path, and
  bbdb-image-suffixes.

(I did not want to put these things into a new file which
necessarily would be required by one of BBDB's core function in
bbdb.el.)

On Sat Nov 19 2011 Ivan Kanis wrote:
> OK I found the fix, the variable bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling got
> renamed to bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling. Setting the former to t got
> me the expected behavior.

See above for the new command bbdb-undocumented-variables.

2011-11-20  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
        * README: Updated.

        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-message-try-all-headers)
        (bbdb-user-mail-address-re): Clarify doc string.
        (bbdb-defstruct): Do not update bbdb-mail-aliases-need-rebuilt.
        (bbdb-record-set-note): Update bbdb-mail-aliases-need-rebuilt.
        (bbdb-record-set-name): Update name in cache and hash.
        (bbdb-record-unset-name): Removed (obsolete).
        (bbdb-hash-update): New function.
        (bbdb-record-set-field): Use it.
        (bbdb-records): Initiate variable bbdb-records.
        (bbdb-parse-internal): Use bbdb-goto-first-record.
        (bbdb-goto-first-record): Move backward only if we found a first
        record.

        * lisp/bbdb-com.el (bbdb-insert-field)
        (bbdb-delete-field-or-record): Use bbdb-record-set-field.
        (bbdb-edit-field): New optional arg value.  Handle affix,
        organization, mail, aka, and note fields directly.
        (bbdb-record-edit-affix, bbdb-record-edit-organziation)
        (bbdb-record-edit-mail, bbdb-record-edit-aka)
        (bbdb-record-edit-note): Removed.

        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-mail-avoid-redundancy) Renamed from
        bbdb-mail-allow-redundancy.
        * lisp/bbdb-com.el (bbdb-dwim-mail): Update it accordingly.

        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-update-records-p): Change default to less
        agressive `search'.
        (bbdb-mua-auto-update-p): New variable
        * lisp/bbdb-mua.el (bbdb-mua-auto-update): Use it.
        (bbdb-update-records): Resolve arg update-p up to two times.
        * lisp/bbdb-message.el (bbdb/message-update-records-p)
        * lisp/bbdb-rmail.el (bbdb/rmail-update-records-p)
        * lisp/bbdb-gnus.el (bbdb/gnus-update-records-p)
        * lisp/bbdb-mhe.el (bbdb/mh-update-records-p)
        * lisp/bbdb-vm.el (bbdb/vm-update-records-p): Doc fix.

        * lisp/bbdb-mua.el (bbdb-annotate-record): Convert annotation into
        list if field is affix, organization, mail or aka.
        (bbdb-mua-edit-field-interactive): New function.
        (bbdb-mua-edit-field): New command.
        (bbdb-mua-edit-field-sender, bbdb-mua-edit-field-recipients): Use
        it.

        * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-image, bbdb-image-path, bbdb-image-suffixes):
        New variables.
        (bbdb-display-name-organization): Use them to display images for
        BBDB records.  Suggested by Ivan Kanis <ap...@kanis.fr>.

        * lisp/bbdb-migrate.el (bbdb-undocumented-variables): New command.