On Sun Nov 20 2011 Philipp Moeller wrote:
> So for now it is just looking at source and figuring things out.

I am sorry, the updates in BBDB v3 are still work in progress.
The code itself is already fairly mature by now, but the rest
(documentation and installation support) is stil lacking behind.

Volunteers welcome  :-)

For someone new to BBDB, the most important piece of source code to
look into is certainly the beginning of bbdb.el with all the user
variables for BBDB. I tried to arrange them in a logical order.

Also, the menu bar gives you a fairly complete overview of the
commands available inside the *BBDB* buffer. (For many emacs modes
the menu bar comes handy for this.)

> If someone could provide an outline of main features it would be a
> good start.

For getting an idea of what can be done with BBDB, the old info
manual could still be usueful, though the implementation of these
ideas has changed quite significantly.

> Is https://github.com/barak/bbdb3 the right place to fork and send pull
> requests?

I do not know to what extent Barak keeps his mirror up to date.

BBDB is available at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/bbdb/
To check it out, use
git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/bbdb.git