> * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2011-12-28 04:32:44 -0600]:
>
> On Mon Dec 26 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
>> 1. despite
>>     (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)
>>    when I view an article, the *BBDB* buffer does not appear for the
>>    known senders (marked with a bbdb/gnus-summary-known-poster-mark in
>>    summary).  When I do
>>     (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'bbdb-mua-display-sender)
>>    I am asked to create a record for the author of EVERY article I view.
>>    This was controlled by
>>      (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p 'bbdb-ignore-most-messages-hook)
>>    in v2.  What do I do now?
>
> Note that bbdb-mua-display-sender is more intended for interactive
> use, not for use as a hook function.

so, what do I do to ensure that the bbdb buffer pops when a message
is from a known person?

> So
>
>      (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)
>
> should really be the way to go for noninteractive things. This
> requires to set bbdb-mua-auto-update-p.

it is set to 'search

>> apparently, one has to set _both_ bbdb-mua-auto-update-p _and_
>> bbdb/gnus-update-records-p to 'search.
>
> ...Strange. If you set bbdb-mua-auto-update-p, this is what
> bbdb-mua-auto-update uses. In this case, it should never see your
> value of bbdb/gnus-update-records-p.

why is it a custom variable then?

BTW, all these bbdb/<mua>-update-records-p variables (except for mhe)
are initialized to lambdas calling bbdb-select-message and binding
bbdb-update-records-p around them which means that they completely the
global value of bbdb-update-records-p. what is going on?

>> 2. I want to avoid putting the email uid into the first name slot.
>>    I.e., when creating a record for "f...@bar.com", I want the names to
>>    be void, not "foo" "".
>
> ...This behavior was already implemented in BBDB v2. Is this a problem?

wdym?
I have a bunch of records with name==uid of some e-mail address.
I don't like this. Is this intentional?

I cannot test this because ATM I seem to be unable to create bbdb
records: ":" and ";" just pop an empty *BBDB* buffer with
0/0/<bbdb size> in the command line.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/tap12009/ http://mideasttruth.com