> * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2011-12-28 04:32:44 -0600]:
>
> On Mon Dec 26 2011 Sam Steingold wrote:
>> 1. despite
>>     (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'gnus 'message)
>>    when I view an article, the *BBDB* buffer does not appear for the
>>    known senders (marked with a bbdb/gnus-summary-known-poster-mark in
>>    summary).  When I do
>>     (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook 'bbdb-mua-display-sender)

gnus-article-prepare-hook is a variable defined in `gnus-art.el'.
Its value is (bbdb-mua-display-sender bbdb-mua-auto-update)

is this the correct value?

>> apparently, one has to set _both_ bbdb-mua-auto-update-p _and_
>> bbdb/gnus-update-records-p to 'search.
>
> ...Strange. If you set bbdb-mua-auto-update-p, this is what
> bbdb-mua-auto-update uses. In this case, it should never see your
> value of bbdb/gnus-update-records-p.

hmm, I restarted emacs with your suggested settings.

bbdb/gnus-update-records-p
(lambda nil (let ((bbdb-update-records-p (quote query))) (bbdb-select-message)))

bbdb-mua-auto-update-p
search

when I view a gnus article (message) from an unknown sender, I am
offered creation of a record.
on the plus side, I can now create records from messages (":" and ";"
work again!)
I guess this means that

1. bbdb/gnus-update-records-p should not be a defcustom.

2. it is used somewhere where bbdb-mua-auto-update-p should be used instead.

would you please fix this, or do I have to do it?

thanks!

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://dhimmi.com http://palestinefacts.org http://thereligionofpeace.com