On Tue, May 15, 2012 6:01 pm, Sriram Karra wrote:

> I am not familiar at all with the implementation details of CardDAV or
> vCard. Just that it appears more useful overall to have as an option than
> writing directly to the Android contacts db. Maybe it's way too much
> work... Hm.

Problem with syncing with vcard for instance for Android currently seems
to be the absence of syncing software between vcard and Android db. I've
been experimenting, and currently it's easy to export Android contacts to
a vcard file. However, when you import for instance the same vcard file,
Android contacts dumbly copies everything to its DB, leaving you with two
identical contacts for each person. In that way contact sync with vcard
files is impossible by default.

I'm now searching for some software, Android side, that enables some such
syncing, as otherwise, syncing between BBDB and vcard files would be to a
large extent futile, as Android sync would still not be possible, as all
the contacts would get reimported to Android. There seems to be some soft
enabling "backup/restore" of contacts for Android, not sure if it works
with vcards though, as it might just use some proprietary format, will
see...
--
JJ