On Tue Jul 10 2012 Sam Steingold wrote:
> > It appears that binding bbdb-allow-duplicates to t is the easiest
> > solution here.
>
> Thanks.  Is it seriously expected that one's internet acquaintances
> should have unique names?

>From the docstring of bbdb-allow-duplicates (which I did not change)
I assume that the assumption that names are unique has been present
in BBDB for quite some time. The assumption certainly underlies all
bbdb-mua-* commands and functions. You need to rewrite these BBDB
internals if you do not want to make this assumption. (I say "you"
because I do not see a particularly high priority for doing this.
BBDB has served many people well for many years with this
assumption.)

> when bbdb sees a message from <foo@...> without a name, it insists on
> adding foo to name or aka. I would like to avoid that.

Bind bbdb-message-mail-as-name to nil, if you do not like that.
This user variable was introduced following your request.

You can always add a name by hand that you find more meaningful
(or use bbdb-create-hook if you want to do that automagically).