On Wed Jul 11 2012 Sam Steingold wrote:
> > Some things changed with ChangeLog 2012-07-09.
>
> $ head -1 ChangeLog
> 2012-07-09  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
> $
>
> > See my email.
>
> This is not very informative. Could you please supply the gmane
> (or any other) link intead next time?

I am not using gmane / gnus. Yet when I send out announcement about
changes to BBDB the date of the Changelog is the subject of the message.
This should be sufficient in most situations.

> > Yet if you have bound bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p according
> > to your needs, things should be fine.
>
> bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p
> => (search . query)

Great, it seems that everything works the way it is supposed to.
Please read the docstring of the variable bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p.
Also, you may want to look at the usage notes in the README file of BBDB 3
(unchanged for some time).

The patch from 2012-07-09 that you have already installed ensures
that all interactive MUA commands from BBDB obey bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p
as promised in the usage notes in the README file of BBDB 3
(the only caveat being that some commands cannot use the cdr of this variable).

Currently you are using the (intentionally) least aggressive default for
bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p.  It seems you want instead something like

  (query . create)

or even

  (create . query)

If you want yet more sophisticated solutions use your own functions
as car and cdr.