On Fri Dec 28 2012 Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Yup, I thought of this problem but it seems like it's fudged in
> other places (ie you can't complete on subsequent values in an AKA
> field) so I figured this was good enough for now.

It's different in the sense that the values of the organization
field are shared more often among different records. For something
like AKA this would be odd.  But AKAs are used in the MUA interface.
For the organization field this would not be possible. Ultimately,
this defines the difference between these fields from a more
conceptual point of view.

> Not quite sure I understood that... I was under the impression
> that the organization field just holds a list of strings: the
> names of various organizations. Is that what you meant by
> "attributes for a record"?

Yes. The organization field is an attribute in the sense that
usually it is useless to distinguish individual records. But it can
help to classify the records in BBDB.

> I can make a record for an organization, with its organization name in
> the name field, and say an office front desk number in the phone field,
> etc, but them is there a way of indicating that a separate record (for a
> person), works there? I can't fill the person's organization field with
> a "foreign key" to the organization record, right?
>
> I realize this is approaching a relational database model, and is
> a can of worms that's probably not worth opening. I was just curious.

Ultimately this is not so different from, say, families of friends.
In a a way, families are just small organizations. It would be nice
if such records could share fields like the mailing address and home
phone numbers. But I have no clue how to implement that within BBDB.