On Fri Dec 28 2012 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > rewrite. But I believe it does not (yet?) offer completion when the
> > result of the completion is supposed to be a list of values.
>
> IIUC completing-read-multiple should do what you want (and has been
> included in Emacs for a while, at least since Emacs-22 if not longer).

The keymap used by completing-read-multiple binds SPC to
crm-complete-word. For users not expecting completion, this has two
consequence that might appear counterintuitive:

- If one string in the list of return values is supposed to contain
  the SPC character (which I do not find unusual in the context of,
  say, the organization field of BBDB), this requires C-q SPC.

- In BBDB, the list of organizations is displayed with the
  two-character string ", " as separator. Likewise, this list of
  organizations is generated from the return value of read-string
  using split-string with separator "[ \t\n]*[;,][ \t\n]*". Such
  regexps are not supported by crm-separator. (The latter must be a
  single character string).

I still believe that completing-read-multiple is a cool feature and
I might like to use it myself for entering organizations into BBDB.
Yet I do not know whether all users will be happy with this feature
in the context of BBDB's organization field. So it might be better
to make it customizable whether BBDB uses read-string or
completing-read-multiple.